A conservative approach in the management of auricular pseudocyst

Authors:Soundara Rajan G,Senthamarai Kannan D , Narendra Kumar V
Int J Biol Med Res. 2020; 11(3): 7071-7073  |  PDF File

Abstract

Abstract: Background: Eventhough various treatment modalities are available for auricular pseudocyst, the location and pathogenesis ushered newer concepts. Aim: To assess the effect of steroid injection after aspiration of pseudocyst and reaspiration of injected steroid after stipulated time duration. Methodology: During the four years study period we assessed 28 patients attended OP with auricular pseudocyst and treated by giving steroid injection after aspiration of pseudocyst and reaspiration of injected steroid after stipulated time duration (approximately 30 mins). Results: 92.8% showed improvement with one sitting and had neither recurrence nor complications. Remaining 7.2% needed 2sittings. Conclusion: Steroid injection was used based on the pathogenesis of seroma and to arrest it in an early stage. In our study reaspiration of the injected steroid was as effective as other methods and does not require positive or negative pressure application.