IC Value
Search
About Us
Authors
Reviewers
Editorial Board
Contact Us

Factors influencing antenatalcare utilisation in a village of guntur district, andhra pradesh

Authors:Swapna Budimelli Kalyan Chebrolu
Int J Biol Med Res. 2013; 4(1): 2816-2821  |  PDF File

Abstract

AIMS: To study the possible socio- demographic factors contributing to women obtaining antenatal care services. To study the role of these factors in influencing the antenatal care utilisation. METHODS: Cross sectional observational study was conducted on 140 postnatal mothers residing in Nadendla village of Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh. The data was collected using a pre-tested semi- structured schedule. RESULTS: About 46% (65) of the women were illiterates. Majority (63.6%) of the women work in paddy fields as Agricultural Labourers, the remaining (36.4%) are housewives. 51.4% of the mothers were living in nuclear families. 63% women conceived by 19 years of age. All the respondents utilized antenatal services either government or private or both. 73% utilized government services exclusively, being provided by accredited social health activists and female health workers.62% of mothers had 3 or more antenatal visits. Except for one, none of the women were paid home visits by the health staff. 66.7% mothers were satisfied with the behaviour of the health staff at the Primary Health centres (PHC). Cleanliness at the PHC needs improvement and more than 70% mothers were satisfied with the information provided for care during pregnancy. CONCLUSION Literacy rates among females need to be improved in the villages. When women are educated, the whole family is educated. All the women are utilizing antenatal care services, but home visits by the health staff during antenatal period should be done routinely. The staff at the Primary Health Centres should be periodically sensitized about the importance of antenatal care