IC Value
About Us
Editorial Board
Contact Us

Knowledge attitude and practices among persons with disabilities (pwds) at civil hospital solapur, maharashtra, india

Authors:S. S. TODKAR, Doijad V. Gadgil P. A.
Int J Biol Med Res. 2015; 6(1): 4782-4784  |  PDF File


Background: Disabilities are one of major challenge for public health, social and rehabilitation centers in developing countries. [1] Here we assessed about the knowledge, attitude and practices about disabilities among patients with disabilities, attending general outpatient department (OPD) in Civil hospital Solapur, Maharashtra India. Objective:- to assess the knowledge, attitude and practices about disabilities among persons with disabilities(PWDs) attending general OPD in Civil hospital. Methods:- We conducted a survey on patients affected by various disabilities e.g. physical disabilities due to leprosy, post polio residual paralysis, sensory neural haring loss, etc. A total 149 PWDs was interviewed after taking oral consent to participate in study, The interview and examination was done by the authors himself. The data was analyzed by using Microsoft excel. Results:- Of total 149 disabled patients 71% (82) were males and 29% were females, the age range was 02-74 years, 84% PWDs were not aware about rehabilitation programmes taken up by the government, 9% patients said that they are Rejected n stigmatized within families and 19% said they was rejected and stigmatized in society. We also enquired about reasons for disability, 36% were replied that it were due to disease (fig.2) while 20% said it were due to curse on family. Conclusion: 36 % patients replied that they were getting adequate health service from hospital while remaining 64 % were not happy with kind health services. The commonest disability we observed was (60%) physical disability (orthopaedic). History of consanguineous marriages was high.