IC Value
Search
About Us
Authors
Reviewers
Editorial Board
Contact Us

Kcnq1 rs2237892 polymorphism: searching for any prognostic parameter to predict cardiac events in diabetic population?

Authors:Kambiz Banihashemi , Farideh Davoudi , Zahra Moradmand , Giti Esmailnia
Int J Biol Med Res. 2016; 7(2): 5465-5468  |  PDF File

Abstract

Background and objectives: KCNQ1 encodes a protein for a voltage-gated potassium channel in heart and pancreatic islets. Several polymorphisms within KCNQ1 like rs2237892 are associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Despite lots of studies on polymorphisms association with the disease; there is still a lack of data for predicting parameters associated with adverse cardiac complications. In this study, the association of TT and CC variants of rs2237892 with cardiovascular events intensity and onset time was examined. Methods: We planned an experimental cohort study in which 256 diabetic subjects during a 24 month period evaluated. Participants underwent thorough clinical and para-clinic investigations to detect cardiovascular events including myocardial infarction, hypertension and arrhythmias. DNA extraction and amplification was done and genotyping performed according to standard methods.Results: We found 47 patients with rs2237892; twenty-six (55.3%) showed TT variant and the remaining had CC variant (44.7%). The mean frequency of cardiac events among TT and CC variants were 0.430 and 0.664 and Eta coefficient of association between two variants and cardiac events frequency found as 0.54 and 0.536, respectively. The mean hazard time for cardiac events was nearly 20 percent longer in the case of TT variants. Conclusions: We found a weak association between variants and cardiovascular events with no statistically meaningful effect on the rate of events. Those with TT variants will be affected, about 20 percent later than the other variant (99% CI, lower 9.671, upper 15.329). This finding may work as a key to monitor such events in patients.